Saturday 28 May 2005

Recognition

It's 3 in the morning, peaceful night if not for the piercing sound of your cries. I stumble out of bed to check on you after what seems like an eternity of wailing on your part. Mummy's milk is being warmed up after being taken out of the refrigerator but you don't know that and you don't care. You're hungry and you're letting the world know.

So it is with some surprise, although I should know better, that you quieten down immediately when I look in on you, you look at me with what I hope is recognition on your face as I bend down and talk to you, you remain quiet as I pick you up from your cot and sayang you a bit as we wait for your milk. Dang, just like the books say. You may not know who I am but my voice is familiar to you, you know I'm not mummy cos I don't sound or smell the same but I've been around often enough for you to recognize me voice. All too soon your bottle arrives and you are whisked away from my arms, later gorgeous.

No comments: