Thursday 19 May 2005

Through the looking glass

President Josiah Bartlet: Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President. The Bible does.
President Josiah Bartlet: Yes it does. Leviticus.
Dr. Jenna Jacobs: 18:22.
President Josiah Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I have you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? One last thing: while you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tight-Ass Club, in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.


[after Josh's therapy session with Stanley Keworth, Josh inquires why Leo is trying to help him]
Leo McGarry: This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by, and the guy shouts up, "Hey, you, can you help me out?" The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a priest comes along, and the guy shouts up, "Father, I'm down in this hole. Can you help me out?" The priest writes a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by. "Hey, Joe, it's me. Can you help me Out" And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, "Are you nuts? Now we're both down here." The friend says, "Yeah, but I've been down here before - and I know the way out."


Representative Matthew Santos: Good Evening. I'm running for President. And if you don't know who I am, I wouldn't be surprised. I've been shut out of tomorrow night's debate for suggesting that it actually *be* a debate, and this is the only ad I can afford. I got in this to improve a broken school system; to fix entitlements, 'cause they're going bankrupt; to expand health coverage, 'cause it'll save money if fewer people show up in emergency rooms. What I've found is that Presidential campaigns aren't about these things. They're about clawing your opponent's eyes out, so long as you don't get tagged for it. So how 'bout this - I will never say anything about my opponents, or anything about anything - without saying it myself, right into the camera. You might not get to hear much of me but when you do, you'll know I stand by it. I'm Matt Santos. And you better believe I approved this ad.

Leo McGarry: [to Josh on Arnie Vinick running for President] You ever see Arnie Vinick campaign up close? He'll go into those high school gymnasiums in Iowa and New Hampshire and blow them all away. He'll shake every hand in the joint, kiss every baby, hug every widow on social security, and sound smarter and more honest than any Republican they've ever seen. Because he is.
- The West Wing (1999- )

Never mind the show's won the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series 4 times in a row from 2000 to 2003, never mind it won 19 other Emmys awarded for the writers, actors and crew. Never mind it holds the record for most Emmys won by a series in a single season (9) which it accomplished in its first season on the air. Never mind The West Wing currently ranks 8th all-time in number of Emmy Awards won by a series.

I first stumbled on this gem of a TV series in it's first season, the stirring martial overtones of the theme song hooked me, the cast was superb, the dialogue was witty, intelligent and actually made you use your brain if you wanted to keep up. This show has singlehandedly taught me more about the American political system than any other source I know. Oh sure, the show's a little too idealistic for my liking sometimes (some people call it the Left Wing) and I admit I watch it to escape from the reality of our times (that's what's TV for innit?) but hey, the world's gone to hell in a handbasket, I'll take my jollies any way I can.

Aaron Sorkin left at the end of season 4 and some people thought that signaled the end for the show and for a while (season 5) it really did look that way. But John Wells seems to have picked up speed after getting comfortable with the ball. Season 6 was a ripper and I can't wait for season 7. Santos or Vinnick? I love the show to bits, it's a mirror into what could be and sometimes what should be. I'll save the DVDs for you EJ.

Bartlett for President!

P.S. Channel 5 is showing Season 5 on Sunday nights at 2300hrs, last episode I caught the season was coming to an end, I don't know if it already has. Pity the time slot is not a very social hour, we could do with more intelligent shows like this and The Shield, but that's another story.

No comments: